Re: brakes

To: mmorris@nemr.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brakes
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:18:41 EST
In a message dated 3/11/03 6:30:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, mmorris@nemr.net
writes:

> If the rear brake cylinders are not leaking fluid and are working properly,
> is there any reason to tear into them while I'm checking out the brake
> shoes, replacing brake/clutch hoses, troubleshooting a non-functioning
> emergency brake, and replacing the brake fluid? "If it's not broke, don't
> fix it?"

- - - - - - - - - -

That depends on the situation.  If you just bought the car and have no idea
of the condition of the braking system, I would replace the rear wheel
cylinders.  They are very inexpensive and it is relatively important that the
car is able to stop when you want it to.

OTOH, if you replaced the rear cylinders last year or two years ago, and are
doing a routine brake inspection, I would just look them over externally.

When you upgrade any part of a hydraulic system, the oldest seals become the
weakest link.  This is frequently seen when you replace a master cylinder and
then the calipers or rear cylinders start to leak.  The increased efficiency
of the new master cylinder is more than the older seals can handle.

Just my 2 pence, but, Safety Fast!

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)