RE: Cam Replacement

To: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cam Replacement
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:33:18 -0600
At 04:16 PM 11/4/03 -0700, Larry list account wrote:
>I've done it in the car, but don't remember removing the oil pan as others
>have suggested. Why would you need to do this? ....

You don't need to remove the oil pan or the oil pump.  When the distributor
drive gear has been removed, and all the tappets removed, the camshaft can
be pulled forward.  When the cam comes out of the bearings the cam will
move side ways enough to get around the oil pump drive gear.  You may need
to rotate the cam a bit to get a cam lobe to clear the gear, but you don't
need to remove the oil pump.  Been there.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com