RE: Headlight Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Headlight Question
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 16:57:35 -0600
> I've never heard of E-code lights.  What's the difference between
> them and H4?

H4 is the bulb.  E-code is the European certification for the lens
pattern.  In the US, DOT specifies certain parameters of the beam
pattern, which we all know and love *cough*.  A lamp that is E-code
certified, but not DOT certified, will have a much nicer light pattern,
including that sharp cutoff you like.  You'll know them when you see
them, as if you're approaching a car with them, they won't look very
bright, but that's because they're putting the light where it should go,
rather than in the oncoming drivers' faces.