Re: MGB Metal dash question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Metal dash question
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:21:07 -0800 (PST)
Paul M. SEZ -
> If you like it that's great.  But let me ask you a
> question:  What if you owned a metal dash car?  Do you
> like the pillow enough to convert a metal dash car to
> a pillow?

No, for the same reason I wouldn't convert a pillow dash car
to a metal dash one.  Either change, I feel, would be damaging
to the value of the car, both historically and monetarily.

> Actually, let's take the argument a little further:
>
> How do you feel about the five main bearing engine vs.
> the early three main bearing engine?  Or the early
> 1970's recessed grille vs. the earlier all-chrome
> grille?  How do you feel about a folding convertible
> top vs. a stowaway top?  Or perhaps wire wheels vs.
> rostyles?  What about an all-synchro gearbox vs the
> early three-synchro box?  Do you prefer any of these
> items over any of their alternatives?  Would you
> consider converting any of these items on your car?

Yes, I prefer some, and no I wouldn't convert a car from
one to the other.  I'd buy the car that I wanted.

> I sincerely hope your answer is:
>
> "No way, Paul.  Every MGB is absolutely perfect
> precisely the way it came from the factory in the
> build year that it was produced, and I feel that any
> changes whatsoever would make it 'kludgy'"

Well, I suppose my answer is a more nuanced variation of that. :-)

--
David Breneman
Distributed Systems Software Analyst

DHL/Airborne Express
3101 Western Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121

Phone:  +1-206-830-4253
Fax:    +1-206-830-4432

david.breneman@dhl.com

(This .sig is greater than 4 lines as mandated by company policy.)