RE: A Bouncy Ride

To: "'Owner-Mgs'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A Bouncy Ride
From: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:44:38 -0700
> Ok Everyone, I got my Tires at 30lbs all around and the ride
> is much smoother.  But still at around 60 MPH I'm still
> experiencing a bouncing steering wheel and a slight bouncing
> rear.

60 mph steering wheel vibration is common, and some would say almost
incurable in an MGB.  I bet it goes away at higher speeds, right?  Swap the
front tires with the back tires.  If the vibration goes away suspect either:
a bent wheel, bad tire, or out of balance situation.  Deal with the
suspicious tires (two tires if the vibration went away, 4 if it didn't).

The first thing to check is for visible tire bulges.  If your tires are more
than 5 years old you may have to bite the bullet and replace them.

If you have wire wheels I will go out on a limb and say you do have a
balance problem.  Yes I did read that you had them balanced.

Don't believe it?  Take them back to the shop that balanced them.  You'll
likely find the tire shop will re-balance them for free, they will probably
tell you they are sorry they didn't get it right the first time.  Ask if you
can watch them re-check them, look closely for wheel and tire wobble.  When
they are done tell them thanks; then, when they are taking the last one off
the machine, do one of Columbo's tricks (you remember Columbo don't you?).

"Ah, I was thinkin', do you suppose you could check them one more time"?

Ask them to take them off the machine and put them back on again, if they
are wires they will be out of balance again.  How can that be?  They have
not had them concentric on the balancer drive shaft. Old wire wheels are not
compatible with new spin balance machines.  What's the answer?  A lot of
patience, and double coning the wheels.  By the way, the modern spin balance
is the least desirable way to balance wire wheels.

The second best method would be a good old fashion bubble balance.  Your
tire shop probably threw their bubble balancer away years ago.  If that's
the case, look around for a tire shop your wife would feel uncomfortable at.
You know, grimy and dirty, in an old part of town, someone named Mac
probably has been running it for more years than you are old.  Mac will
probably have a bubble balancer.  However you'll have to wait for him to dig
it out from under the stack of used tires he's been trying to sell for the
last 10 years.

You might get real lucky and Mac will have a functioning dynamic roller
balancer that will allow him to balance the tires on the car. This is the
best way to balance wire wheels. However, like my Mac, he might tell you the
machine broke 5 years ago and he can't find anyone that can fix it.

There can be other things that cause steering wheel shake but wheel balance
is the most likely and the easiest to deal with.  Other issues could be:
king pins, shocks, steering rack, ball joints, etc.  All of which are
expensive, time consuming and not likely the problem.

Good luck

Larry "no more wire wheels" Hoy