Re: Alternatives to de-smogging

To: Stephen West-Fisher <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to de-smogging
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:33:37 -0500
Stephen West-Fisher wrote:
 > Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. I also made a typo,
replace
 > GTI with TDI. The TDI without an automatic gets 50mpg in the real
world with
 > real drivers, mix of city and highway.

    I looked at several TDI discussion groups.  The real world comments
by TDI owners don't agree with your mileage claims.  That's why I asked
where you got thos numbers.

 >It's a much dirtier engine, I'll  admit.

    You hop over that issue as though it doesn't matter.  Well, to lots
of us it does.  It's the major problem with diesel engines, even with
the latest technology.

 >So, the Prius and the Jetta TDI get about the same mileage.

    I haven't found any test or anecdotal evidence that this is true.

 >Doesn't say much for hybrid technology compared to a computerized
turbo diesel does
 > it?

    Well, let's look at the evidence.  The Prius gets better fuel mileage
than the Jetta TDI and impacts the environment a great deal less.  The
Jetta, comparably equipped to a Prius with package #7 like Peg's,  costs
$3K to $4K more, which has to be factored into the yearly cost of
ownership, along with fuel costs.  For the performance minded, the Prius
gets from 0-60 mph in a little over 10 seconds.  The Jetta TDI can't
match that, so far as I've read. The Prius doesn't have an automatic
tranny or clutch to go bad in time.  AND, the Prius isn't banned in some
states, as is the Jetta TDI.   I'd say the Prius comes out ahead
technology-wise.

    But my interest isn't in proving one car is better than the other.
Both are a step in the right direction.  If you prefer the Jetta, getcha
one!

     Cheers,

      CR