Re: Alternatives to de-smogging

To: Stephen West-Fisher <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to de-smogging
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:33:48 -0500
  See below:

Stephen West-Fisher wrote:
> Sure, from a colleague who drives one. And then from the web:
>
> Scott's TDI page (http://www.stealthtdi.com):
> "Although I'm a bit of a leadfoot, my lifetime average economy over
> 165,000-miles is over 43-mpg.

    Peg's Prius is delivering over 50 mpg by driving it like any other car.

  I can get over 50-mpg simply by DRIVING THE
> SPEED LIMIT.  My best tank without AC is 802-miles on 14.58-gallons,
> yielding 55-mpg."

     Many other Prius owner's are getting ~60 mpg by driving the car at
65 mph on the road, instead of 75 and just keeping up with traffic in
commutes.

> Popular Science:
> "Best Station Wagon: VW Jetta TDI, 50 mpg hwy. (EPA)

     More pie-in the sky EPA figures.  We've laid those to rest.  What
did PS get out of it?

Turbochargers use the
> diesel engine's exhaust gases to pump extra power without sacrificing fuel
> economy."

     Now I have to discount PS's technical expertise after reading the
above.  Any supercharger increases engine power output by packing more
fuel and air into the cylinder.  How can it not sacrifice fuel economy
when it's boosting?

> Since I don't propose putting a VW TDI in my MGB, I think we are getting a
> little far afield for the list, so I do propose letting the off topic
> discussion die.

    Sure you do; you're losing the debate.  ;^)

     Cheers,

      CR