Re: Alternatives to de-smogging

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>,
Subject: Re: Alternatives to de-smogging
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:36:56 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Kai M. Radicke" wrote:
> So once Toyota and Honda figure this out and
> produce better looking hybrids, perhaps we will
> see wider acceptance of environmentally friendly
> vehicles and technology.

The Prius is currently on a three to four month
backorder, so it doesn't seem to me that the shape is
hurting sales.  Besides, hundreds of thousands of
people every year buy Pontiac Azteks and Buick
Rendezvous and Buick Centurys and all sorts of other
godawfully ugly vehicles.  The Camry isn't really a
scintillating looking car, but it sells like hotcakes
because it works.  And it works a heck of a lot better
than the cars it outsells.

I don't put much faith in most carmakers to build
beautiful cars anymore, and I don't put ANY faith in
the car buying public to make purchase decisions based
on aesthetics anyway.

I think the demand for the Prius is high right now
specifically because it IS a hybrid.  It's hip and
clean and green.  Leonardo di Caprio apparently bought
a dozen of them or something for his staff to drive.
It's all the rage.  People like the whole idea of
driving it, and I have a feeling they'd be buying them
in droves even if it sucked, which it doesn't.

But down the road, it's not going to be successful
unless it works.  And if it works, it'll sell no
matter what it looks like.  Just like the Camry.

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005
A vintage driving event in the spirit