Re: Glue for under hood insulation

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Glue for under hood insulation
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:31:07 -0600
I'll have to revise my earlier reply to this thread. I mentioned that I
used the high temperature spray adhesive from Moss. I thought it was 3M but
it is not. It has a "Heat" logo on it, looks like it sells for about $10.

It worked fine (past six months or so) until this weekend. It was in the
high 90s when I drove the car to a tennis tournament. Afterwards, the
engine started running warm (halfway between N and H, normally runs just
shy of the middle N). This was no doubt due to a few small coolant leaks
gradually reducing coolant levels so although the engine was not
overheating, it was running a bit hot. Throw in the sun shining on the
black tulip hood, and the insulation was likely getting warm on both sides.
When I opened the hood, both insulation pads were just about off the hood.
But I was able to stick them back on and they seem to be holding - seems
like the adhesive warmed up enough to start liquefying.

So now I'm back to pondering a better or different adhesive also.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B