Re: Glue for under hood insulation

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Glue for under hood insulation
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:05:48 -0700
David,

I did a lot of running around when I was investigating sound proofing
my-still-in-build-mode MGB GT V8.  What I found was a few manufacturers who
had special glues for the auto trade - They did not sell (much) to the
public retail shops.  I took the name off a can used at a local auto
upholstery shop and phoned them.  They said '"sorry, we do not have a
retailer near you"  sooooo  they sent me a 'sample' can of which I still
have 99%!  - even paid mailing - It was great!

At 07:31 AM 7/19/2004, David Councill wrote:
>I'll have to revise my earlier reply to this thread. I mentioned that I
>used the high temperature spray adhesive from Moss. I thought it was 3M
>but it is not. It has a "Heat" logo on it, looks like it sells for about $10.
>
>It worked fine (past six months or so) until this weekend. It was in the
>high 90s when I drove the car to a tennis tournament. Afterwards, the
>engine started running warm (halfway between N and H, normally runs just
>shy of the middle N). This was no doubt due to a few small coolant leaks
>gradually reducing coolant levels so although the engine was not
>overheating, it was running a bit hot. Throw in the sun shining on the
>black tulip hood, and the insulation was likely getting warm on both
>sides. When I opened the hood, both insulation pads were just about off
>the hood. But I was able to stick them back on and they seem to be holding
>- seems like the adhesive warmed up enough to start liquefying.
>
>So now I'm back to pondering a better or different adhesive also.
>
>David Councill
>67 BGT
>72 B

Regards