Re: clutch bleed wierdness

To: Tim Holt <holtt@nacse.org>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutch bleed wierdness
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:23:12 -0500
Tim Holt wrote:

> Hmm something else that came to mind after the fact.  There's no little
> ring on the SS that holds the piston in.  There should be, right?  Its
> dawning on me that without that ring, the piston might get too far out,
> lose it's seal a bit, and then not be pulled back in when you let up on
> the clutch.  Would that make sense?

That has been my experience on every MG I ever worked on. None of them
had any sort of limiter to prevent this.

The action of the clutch usually prevents the overthrow unless the
clutch has gone bad. My MGB-Based Victor Special lost some clutch
facing a few years ago and the SS piston came out the end of the Slave
Cylinder.

Year ago, my MGA was stuck in snow (in Ontario, Canada) and I was
"rocking" the car to try to get it unstuck; somehow I hit the clutch
too many times in rapid succession, accidentally pumping it up, so
that the piston came out of the Slave Cylinder. I had to have the car
towed to a warm garage where I could remove the Slave and rebuild and
refit it. The seal had been cut when the piston came out.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
JJ Cale Live CD and video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us