Re: '92 XJ12 Project

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '92 XJ12 Project
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:43:55 -0800
If it were up to me, I'd hold out for a Jag motor. Sure, it would run with a
Chevy, but there goes the resale value of your "low miles, excellent" Jag.
Not to mention the fun factor, bragging rights, and Jaguar Club schmoozing
potential.

I see this all the time, and it burns me. The Jaguar 6 is one of the
all-time great engines, according to all automotive historians, and the 12
is one of the few moderately-affordable examples of this classic
ultra-smooth configuration. And a Chevy V8 is...what? The most common
dirt-cheap generic powerplant in North America. And it's not even like
putting a V8 into an MGB for a massive infusion of torque and HP -- a
run-of-the-mill smog-legal Chev is not an upgrade at all for the Jag.

I wouldn't say I'm a purist, but this always struck me as cheesey...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149