Re:MG Hobby

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:MG Hobby
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:12:08 EST
I, for one, do not regret a dime I've spent on my cars.  Maybe I feel  that
way now 'cause both are running good, but I get such a bang out of driving
them it is hard to describe.  And it is not for the public recognition--in  the
case of the B-GT there is almost none, even riding around on wire wheels,
hardly anyone notices.  That's a good thing.  Some days when I have  the 66
Mustang out--everyone notices that--I really don't want to talk to  everyone
about
his first Mustang experience, or the fact his aunt had one,  etc.  I'm not
anti-social and sometimes it's fun, but it can also be  intrusive.  When
strangers
do want to talk about MGs, I'm always up for  that, 'cause usually they know
enough about them to be interesting.

But does anyone notice that purchase decisions on car parts are not made by
the same part of your brain that does the rest of your financial
transactions?  If my car needs a new gizmo for $150, especially if it is  not
running for
lack thereof, I think very little of plunking down the plastic  and waiting
fer the package.  On the other hand, if I have gone six or  seven years between
new sport coats or suits for work, even if the old ones are  getting shabby
and way out of fashion, I hold off and hold off and hold  off.  Little things
around the house, antiquing with the wife--$150! Why so  much?  Do we really
need it?
But, my starter is fried--wow, send a new one.  Oh, I shop around a  bit, but
ultimately that part is going to be purchased.  I just spent $29  for a new
fan switch that, it turns out, I really didn't need.  The problem  I thought to
be associated with the old one was not.  But the old one had  lost all of its
silvering on the bezel, and I hadn't spent any money this month  on the car,
so what the hell?  Looks great, and I feel good about it.

Jay Donoghue
72 B-GT
66 Mustang

In a message dated 12/16/2004 4:55:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,