[Top] [All Lists]

Re: Penetrating oil

To: Barrie Robinson <>
Subject: Re: Penetrating oil
From: Don Malling <>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 09:55:28 -0400
My understanding is that Dinitrol 3125 is a standard "Waxoyl" like product to 
be used for cavities 
in cars. It's typically referred to as Dinitrol. I seem to remember some web 
info from the UK, and 
the author followed up and said it was Dinitrol 3125 he was referring to when 
he said Dinitrol.

A summary of the Dinitrol products is here:

I bought mine here: (click 
Lubes and Paint on the left Nav bar) I think I paid 8.50 UK each for 10 cans. 
Shipping was expensive.

Spent a lot of money. Probably should have looked more for a US source. Oh well.

Don Malling

Barrie Robinson wrote:
> Don,
> Dinol/ Dinitrol for cars is not sold in Canada - except AV-30 in spray 
> cans - and then you have to buy a case of 12 -  Oh yes and they do have 
> 19 litre cans !!!   What is 3125 specified for?  I know they use Dinol 
> in the UK for cars but when I spoke to the US chap he said Americans 
> were not interested in quality just price so they only sell to the 
> aircraft industry - and AV-30 was as close he could advise to do cars
> At 10:41 AM 4/30/2005, Don Malling wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>> What is your opinion of Dinitrol 3125?
>> Don Malling
>> Paul Hunt wrote:
>>> I've used Waxoyl for the sills and other box sections, but it does 
>>> need to
>>> be thinned to liquid and/or sprayed on a hot day or it will stick 
>>> where it
>>> hits and not run, that is if you can even get a spray out of the 
>>> gun.  But
>>> even several days or weeks after spraying, getting some decent 
>>> sunshine onto
>>> the panel, will liquidise it and cause it to drip out of the drain 
>>> holes.
>>> Needn't worry too much about getting to the tops of the box sections 
>>> as they
>>> usually rot through at the bottom, but thin/hot enough to spray and 
>>> using
>>> the purpose-made cavity adapter (a long plastic tube with a nail 
>>> stuffed in
>>> the open end) will reach anyway.  I have used clean engine oil at the 
>>> front
>>> and rear sections of the sill where they are behind the front and 
>>> rear wing
>>> cover panels as the gap is so narrow that Waxoyl tends to bridge the 
>>> gap and
>>> not run down adequately, even in hot sunshine.  Others have talked of
>>> sealing up all the drain holes and pouring clean engine oil in the 
>>> top to
>>> fill the sills (don't forget there is an inner and an outer cavity) then
>>> draining it out.  This can be reused in other cavities (probably not the
>>> engine or gearbox!) unless it has flushed out a load of water.
>>> PaulH.
> Barrie Robinson
> 705-721-9060
> MGB GT V8 in the making
> Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII in the wings
> Purveyor of O-ring kits for Smith and Jaeger gauges
> ------- and of stainless steel mesh grilles for MGBs
> ------- and of bitumastic soundproofing

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>