Re: Fuel Prices

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Prices
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:11:27 -0700
One difference, of course, is that in the UK people don't commute 60-90
miles one-way to work; by car, that is (maybe by train). Not that I think
that that is a remotely sane thing to do, but tens of thousands of people in
my area must do it, and they keep building subdivisions farther and farther
out. The low US gas taxes are essentially subsidizing these people and the
real estate developers, since they do not remotely recover the related costs
to society (freeway construction, widening, and maintenance; expanded
highway patrols; water and sewer hookups to remote areas; school and
infrastructure construction in outlying areas while closing schools and
services in inner cities; loss of farmland near cities, hence increased
transportation costs for food; air and water pollution; climate change,
etc.). I gripe about high gas costs, too, but what galls me about it is that
the price increases go to paying the chairman of Exxon $120,000 A DAY (you
can look it up) rather than to the government for desperately required
highway maintenance, if nothing else.

[end of rant]

--

Max Heim