Re: Fuel Prices

To: saidel@camden.rutgers.edu, max_heim@sbcglobal.net,
Subject: Re: Fuel Prices
From: RampantNM@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:50:30 EDT
In a message dated 4/19/2006 4:02:41 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
saidel@camden.rutgers.edu writes:

Years  ago, I suggested to the Car Guys and in this list that gas taxes
should be  linked to the type of car.  SUV's would pay more gas tax than
Hyundai's and Jags would be up there, too, while >20 mpg cars would be
taxed more reasonably.

I was so flamed by people here and people  there that I stopped pushing the
idea of  appropriate  taxation.

Duh...by fourth grade I think I could figure out that if I drove a  car that
used three times as many gallons of gas, and the tax rate was per  gallon, I
would be paying three times the amount of taxes.

I guess I don't understand the term "appropriate taxation".

Perhaps someone out there would, for the good of the environment, offer to
buy me a new hybrid or something.  My SUV is paid for and even if I got  three
times the mileage, I would not save enough to make any kind of car  payment.
Pretty simple economics.

Besides, all the tree huggers want everyone to embrace the new fuels and
possible technologies, and the best way to have that happen quicker is to have
the price of fossil fuels escalate.  Instead of carping about the price of
gas, you should applaud it.  The quicker we get to $5-10 a gallon, the  quicker
you can have a hydrogen car.

I need a vehicle that seats 4 people and up to 4 dogs and assorted  luggage.
Find me a Honda that fits that bill (must be 4wd) and I'll let  you buy it
for me.

Robert  Houston

2008 Bipartisan Bumper Sticker
"Run Hillary Run"
Demos put  it on the back bumper, Republicans on the  front......