Re: OD-Transmission

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OD-Transmission
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:03:46 -0700
on 8/14/06 5:19 AM, Ray Wygonik at RWYGONIK@iup.edu wrote:

> Put the car up on blocks a year ago to install an OD transmission and am
> just know getting it ready for the road.  Only a few things left to do.
> (see my questions to the list on crankcase breather).
>
> Now for the OD - I thought about wiring in a dash light to show when the OD
> is engaged.  Is this common? Is it needed?

I did precisely this; partly because a PO had left a spare hole in the dash,
but also because I thought I might need a reminder to switch the OF off, not
being accustomed to it. I may have a sketch of the circuit I installed, but
anyway, it's pretty obvious.

> Next
> With the OD  limited to third or fourth gear by the switch on the
> transmission, if I leave the gear shift OD switch in the "On" position will
> the transmission try to go to OD as soon as I shift from second to third?
> Since my whole family drives the car, I can't be sure they will understand
> the operation.

Yes, it will go into OD instantly -- this is a good argument for the
indicator light.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149