Re: Distributor/Ignition Question

To: "Bill Miller (LBC's)" <lbcs@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Distributor/Ignition Question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:59:21 +0100
I doubt anything inside a 25D will fit a 45D well.  I have no idea what
'helicopter' ignition is but I doubt it is adding much, properly maintained
points ignition should be fine.  RBs had 45Ds, one of two electronic types
for North America or points elsewhere.  Even if the curves on your 25D are
to spec for its reference number they are unlikely to suit your engine.

You have no reason to expect that any other distributor will have better
curves than your existing distributor.  The main problem is that the
original curves are irrelevant with today's fuels, so even if you get a
distributor from one of the very few people producing distributors with the
original curves it won't be ideal for your engine unless you run it on
unleaded to the original formulation.  Not only that but whereas
distributors were originally curved for performance, to meet the ever
increasing stringency of North American emissions regs it was more and more
a difficult job to get something that passed, and performance considerations
went out of the window.  Any distributor will run any engine to greater or
lesser performance and/or economy, simply by advancing it just short of
pinking at any combination of throttle opening, revs and load.  Even then if
you live in a flat area, then go touring in a hilly area, you are likely to
encounter pinking again as I do in Wales and Scotland.  Short of spending a
lot of time on a rolling road, and possibly doing away with vacuum advance
which hits part-throttle acceleration and economy, that is the best you can
do.

PaulH.