OFF TOPIC-computer advice

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OFF TOPIC-computer advice
From: "Monte/Jane Morris" <montejane@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:29:17 -0600
First off; I consider myself internet savy, but mostly computer illiterate,
so you'll have to talk SLOWLY:-).
My problem is that I need new antivirus software for the system described
below, but don't know what to install that will work on this system. I've
had AVG Free, but it expired and the new version requires at least Windows
2000, as does anything that Consumers Reports now recommends. I've been
without protection for two weeks (I hope I don't get impregnated with a
virus:-).
The above is for our desktop which we use while at home with a SLOW dialup
connection. We are only at home 2-3 months/year and the rest of the time we
use our laptop (WindowsXP) with wireless connection at campgrounds.
So, cost effective suggestions for this desktop computer would be welcome.
 Would changing the operating system to Windows XP be a cost effective
option; is it even possible and would it be easy enough for me to do myself?
Should I just bag this computer and use the laptop with dialup while at
home?
Thanks in advance,
Monte

Desktop Properties:
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Upgrade using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\CABS /IZ /II /NR /IW
/IS /P c /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:01:20:50
Normal mode
On "COMPUTER" as "Default"
Gateway, Inc.
GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3
127MB RAM
73% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (18566MB free)
Available space on drive C: 18566MB of 28593MB (FAT32)