Re: OFF TOPIC-computer advice

To: Monte/Jane Morris <montejane@gmail.com>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC-computer advice
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:51:31 -0600
Monte:

I am running Windows 98SE and was able to update AVG to a usable new
one. I did it sometime last fall. The installation program was
avg75free_430a828.exe. It appears I downloaded it November 1. It's
16,977KB in size. Try going to the AVG site and browse around looking
for the free edition. IT actually works a bit better in that the email
scanner seems more compatible with the Netscape 4.8 I still use.

In fact, I am actually running 98SE Lite on a pieced together system.
The Lite program allows you to select what's installed and there's much
that isn't necessary. The computer has a VA-503+ motherboard with a AMD
K6-III+ 450 overclocked to 550. The K6-III has L1 cache on the processor
so it's faster. Of course all of this is about 5 to ten year old
technology.  There's 384 MB of RAM installed (I could go up to 512) and
I run off an internal dialup modem. The internet connection is also
accelerated at up to 4:1. It's not too bad a system. It will refresh
ebay pages in about 2 seconds.

Regards,
Blake