Re: OFF TOPIC-computer advice

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC-computer advice
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:29:00 -0800
Pretty wicked of you to suggest Linux to the computer illiterate... As if...

Mac would make sense, and have the same relative immunity.

As of last year, with Intel Macs and Bootcamp and Parallels Desktop, there
is no reason to run Windows on generic PCs, ever. I admit running Windows
even in a window on a Mac could be a virus attractor, but if you do your
surfing/email from the Mac side you should be, oh, about 10,000 times safer
than any standalone version of Windows.

I don't know why some people seem to think buying a dirt-cheap, bargain
basement PC and then wrestling with spyware, viruses and daily Microsoft
updates is a productive use of their time.

But in this particular case, the "no cost" solution would be to use the
laptop. If you hooked up the monitor, keyboard and mouse from the abandoned
Win98 box, you'd have an equally useful and comfortable workstation.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149