Re: [MGS] Chrome wires

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MGS] Chrome wires
From: Rod Williams <PRNDL@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 11:04:39 -0700
Back when I ran an E-type Jag, about 10 or 15 years ago, I was told by a
reliable supplier that the current production of chrome Dunlop wheels came
from Asia and the process of chrome plating definitely reduced the strength
of the spokes. I can also say from experience that they rust like crazy if
you're not diligent about cleaning and polishing them. I've seen polished
stainless wheels at shows and they look nice. "Near Chrome" I suppose. I
just don't think there's enough beer in North America that could get me to
spend the time and effort required to polish the buggers to show quality. I
put painted Dayton wires on my '67 MGB and they look beautiful. The Chrome
Daytons are really, really nice but a bit too flashy on a "B" for my taste.
But vive la diffirence.
--
Rod Williams
Petaluma CA