Re: [MGS] Chrome wires

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MGS] Chrome wires
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 13:29:19 -0700
Yeah, yeah, I'm not completely ignorant of basic economic principles, but
even our local Northern California wire wheel shop told me it wasn't
economical to "rebuild" them (not even including complete respoking, just
replacing "as necessary" and truing). So I was curious as to why Paul's
mechanic thought he could afford to completely respoke them (and
subsequently, true and balance them). Around here, it would take only about
three or four hours of shop time to equal the cost of a new wheel, not even
including the parts (think -- how quickly can you replace 60 rusted-tight
spokes?). I also failed to include the cost of 60 nipples. Obviously, the
wheels Moss sells are assembled in a lower-prevailing-wage region.

I might further note that it looks like you are accusing Moss of a 800%
markup on spokes (or some similar large percentage). I am not sure that was
your intention, but it seems to be implicit in your argument, assuming they
are buying from the manufacturer (and I can see no reason why they wouldn't,
being probably the largest retailer in the market). At any rate, you don't
explain how a local mechanic could get a better wholesale price on tiny lots
than Moss does on its relatively huge orders.

I was assuming a 100% markup from manufacturer wholesale to Moss retail. But
even if it is 400%, my rough calculation is that respoking and truing a
wheel would be profitable only if it could be done in an hour or less. If
the spokes were FREE, it would still have to be done in 3 or 4 hours shop
time. That includes cleaning, disassembly, assembly and truing.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149