Re: [MGS] Chrome wires

To: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>,MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MGS] Chrome wires
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 14:25:23 -0500
At 10:04 AM 5/7/2007 -0700, Max Heim wrote:
>I am surprised that respoking your chrome wires would be considered
>economically feasible. My 2006 Moss catalog lists the retail price
>.... adds up to $650 per wheel. ....

That answer is easy (and sort of fun).  There will be multiple steps
in the distribution system, each with a price markup resulting in a
huge difference in retail price compared to cost of manufacturing
spokes.  Anyone seriously in the business of rebuilding wire wheels
will likely buy spokes directly from the manufacturer in large
quantity for substantially less than the cost of a new wheel.

Manufacturing spokes is an automated process almost as easy as making
wire clothes hangers.  Start with a piece of wire, roll a thread on
one end, cold head and bent the other end, all in a matter of
seconds.  Stainless steel wire is a few cents more than mild
steel.  Chrome plating could double the cost, but they are still
pretty cheap to manufacture.

Corn is about $0.10 per pound on the farm, while corn flakes are as
much as $5.00/lb retail.  When you pay $1 for a soda in a fast food
restaurant you should know the paper cup costs more than the soda and
ice inside.  As with many things these days, when you are buying one
piece of something the end retail price can come mostly from the cost
of distribution and related profit margins.