Re: [MGS] Connecting a Trickle Charger

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [MGS] Connecting a Trickle Charger
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 10:52:09 -0700 (PDT)
--- Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Hooking up to any convenient wire that carries 12v when the
> ignition is off
> and the key is out of the car (i.e. the brown on an MGB) and ground
> will be fine.

That's why I thought the line to the starter switch would
be a good canditate.  The starter will turn whether the
ignition is on or off.

> But having said that an MGA should be able to hold its charge for a
> couple of months at least.

This is what had me concerned.  In the past it could sit all
winter and still start up, albeit a little sluggishly, in the
spring.  Granted, it sat for a year, was driven about 15 miles,
Then it sat for two weeks, and wouldn't start.  Driven about
12 miles, seemed to start just fine, sat three weeks then
wouldn't start again.  Yesterday I drove it about 20 miles,
so we'll see if it starts tonight when I get home from work.

> A drain could be caused by any aftermarket electronics that
> might have been added such as alarm, or audio systems.  But if you
> have none of those and the electrics are standard and the battery
> good there must be a fault.

The electrical system is straight stock.  Generator with
positive ground.  Everything brand new or rebuilt as of
four years ago.  The only add-on is a radio, and it was
wired to the ignition ket switch.  I thought after sitting
so long, and draining so low, the batteries might need to
have a "good charge" put on them like you do with a boat
battery in the spring - either that or drive the car for
a few days in a row to give it plenty of opportunity to
charge.

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com