Re: [MGS] Connecting a Trickle Charger

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [MGS] Connecting a Trickle Charger
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:17:22 -0700 (PDT)
--- Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>  Even worn out
> batteries that won't hold a charge enough to start the car for more
> than a
> couple of weeks should still be able to start it after just half an
> hour or so.

It will start within hours of being run, but as yesterday's
test showed, not overnight.  Voltage drops substantially when
I pull the starter.  Even the gas gauge dips to "E".

> Are there any bad connections in the cranking circuit?

No, everything's clean and shiny.  There was some powdery
"battery stuff" around the terminals when I first checked
it two weeks ago.  I disconnected the batteries and cleaned
all the terminals and re-connected them.  Also topped up the
water, which was low.  All of the wiring is brand new as of
four years ago, so it's in very good condition.

> You could be losing
> too much voltage to be able to start the car, even when it is
> charging OK
> and the batteries are OK.  Measure the voltage directly on the
> battery posts
> while cranking, and again on the starter connections - you may need
> an  analogue instrument if a digital isn't 'settling'.

I'll check that.  The generator light doesn't come on,
even when idling with the headlights and heater blower
running.  Is there a mode of failure for the regulator
that would cause the light not to light, but the system
not to charge?  (Or I should say "charge very much" because
it will start soon after having been run, so *some* power
is getting to the battery.)

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com

Be a PS3 game guru.