Re: [Mgs] Tops, hoods.

To: MGBOB <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Tops, hoods.
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:48:31 -0800
I have installed a few tops on MGs and never had a problem.  While there are
not definite measurements, it is a fairly easy process.
It has been years since I did one, but the way I used to do it, was to lay
the top out back side up for several hours to get the top hot and soft.
Put the header rail on the windshield (sans top of course).  Put the top
over the frame fastening the clips and lift-o-dots along the sides.  Pull
the top forward over the header rail.  Make marks where the top should fold
under with chalk.
remove the top and header rail, and attach the top so that the marks
correspond to the proper position on the rail.  DO NOT GLUE.
Erect the top and drive for a week or so with the top up.  It will stretch
and get loose.  This is OK.
Again on a hot afternoon, pull the top material forward over the header rail
and guessimate how much you need to move the top on the header rail.  Might
be 1/4"-1/2" or so  Take a sewing gauge
http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/ig/Sewing-Tools/Sewing-Gauges.htm (the
black one at the bottom) and mark along the material above where the header
meets the windshield by the amount that you decided the top needs to be
tightened.  undo the top from the header rail and reattach to where your new
marks are.

Rick