Re: [Mgs] Repair or replace Radiator?

To: Paul Osborne <paul@ece.rochester.edu>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Repair or replace Radiator?
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 06:36:07 -0700
Unless excess money Laying all over your work bench is an issue I would not
buy a new rad from Moss.
I would also not necessarily automatically recore yours. I sure as well would
not do the repair myself. (been there done that. Too hard to get a good
result)
I would remove the rad, take it to a good shop and ask them for a rod and
repair.
They will remove both tanks run a long rod down each tube to clean out all the
crud then reassemble the entire unit. If the core is bad they can show you and
replace it.
Much cheaper than Moss

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 21, 2010, at 4:10, Paul Osborne <paul@ece.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Andrew,  most radiator shops will recore your's, and it will be a savings.
Have had my 74 gt done 2yrs ago. Cost $138.00.

> paul
>

>> Anyone have any experience with radiator repair they would like to share?
>>
>> I have never done it, I think you need to pressurize the radiator to 15lbs
or so find the leaks then patch all the leaks by soldering them.  Wash and
repeat until they are all gone.

>> A new replacement for my '70 from Moss runs ~$200.
>>
>> If I have to take the rad anywhere to have it repaired, I am guessing that
the labor at todays prices will go up toward the replacement cost pretty
quick.  Do they still re-core radiators?

>> I may be able to do it myself, I remember helping my father do it as a kid,
but have never done it myself.  I remember him fighting for quite a while with
a few stubborn leaks on the old International Travelall.  My dad is still
around and would probably be willing to help me repair it.

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/paul@ece.rochester.edu