Re: [Mgs] Repair or replace Radiator?

To: ccrobins@ktc.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Repair or replace Radiator?
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:21:26 -0400
I had lots of heating problems with my MGB GT V8 so heating problems
are of great interest to me.  Obviously a V8 needs more attention
than the 4 cylinder but there are some lessons to be learnt.  If it
was my MGB that was overheating, after checking the obvious
(thermostat, blockages etc) I would rip out the rad and install an
aluminium one.  My V8 got to normality after I had ceramic coated the
exhaust pipes, put in a stonking electric fan, and an aluminium
rad.   For the 4 cylinder I think only the last item is appropriate.

At 08:53 AM 8/24/2010, Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:
>I had a '70 B when I lived in the desert.  It ran a bit warm after I
>rebuilt the engine.  When it finally sprung a leak I had it rebuilt
>with a new, thicker core.  Ran at normal temps after that.  Wouldn't
>surprise me if your after market rad has a bit lower cooling
>capacity then the original.
>
>   CR
>
>On 8/21/2010 2:12 PM, Councill, David wrote:
>>I usually have a radiator shop repair mine as well at about half the
>>cost of new. But I had to replace the one on my 67BGT a few years ago
>>with a new one from Moss or a Moss reseller. Mine also runs a bit hotter
>>than the original one did.

Regards

Barrie
barrie@look.ca