Re: [Mgs] rocker threads causing problems

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] rocker threads causing problems
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:51:30 -0700
You can't pick up 75 lbs with one hand? But I didn't really express myself
well. What I meant was, I would usually just rely on "feel" to tighten a nut
to 25 lb/ft, using a normal box wrench or 3/8 drive (probably more like 7 or
8" long, really); pulling hard but not super-hard. And I certainly wouldn't
expect this amount of force to strip a 7/16" or 1/2" nut, which is what I am
guessing this stud would be.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

on 10/7/10 6:32 PM, Richard Ewald at richard.ewald@gmail.com wrote:

> Easily?  With a 4" wrench that is 75 lbs. of force you have to apply.
> Rick
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 7, 2010, at 16:55, Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Something is wrong here. 25lb/ft can be easily applied with one hand on a
>> 4-inch box wrench. Hard to strip anything bigger than a 5/16 nut if it's
>> made out of anything tougher than pot metal.
>>
>> Try using a box wrench instead of the torque wrench and just tighten it
>> "good and tight", not "as hard as you can". If it still strips, go to a
>> reputable store and get Grade 8 nuts.
>>
>> If you have a pop-off torque wrench, I'd say it's definitely way off -- get
>> it calibrated.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Max Heim
>> '66 MGB GHN3L76149
>> If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>> it's the primer red one with chrome wires
>>

>> on 10/7/10 12:04 PM, Clayton Kirkwood at crk@godblessthe.us wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I am putting my rocker assembly back on my head after putting new valve stem
>>> oil seals in in an attempt to see where my oil consumption is coming from.
>>> While tightening the nuts down on the studs, I continue to have a problem
>>> with the threads of the nuts ripping out. I went to the local parts store
>>> and asked for grade 5 nuts hoping that the problem was with the nuts being
>>> ungraded. I continue to have the same problem: I tighten the nuts down to
>>> 25lbft but they never tighten and I remove the nuts and then have to remove
>>> metal twists from around the studs. 25 lbft is the value listed in the
>>> manual.
>>>

>>> What is going wrong? My guess is that the "grade 5" nuts really aren't grade
>>> 5, but I have no way of telling: the flats don't have any markings. I know
>>> these have to be pretty tight given all of the stresses caused by the cam
>>> pushing on the rods. Any advice appreciated.
>>>

>>> TIA,
>>>

>>> Clayton

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html