Re: [Mgs] MGB rear brake questions

To: wkilleffer@epbfi.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MGB rear brake questions
From: Robert's New iPad <mgbobh@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 13:36:03 -0400
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-68C5CDB2-A3D6-48CC-9904-848FE8324552
        charset=utf-8

        The rear-brake question opens more questions.    MGBs had rear cyli=
nders to fit the Tourers and the GTs, different sizes of cylinders and diffe=
rent back plates.    The roll pins located the cylinders in the correct back=
ing plates.
        Thus the questions arise:  Tourer back plates and new GT cylinders?=
 GT backplates and new Tourer cylinders?  Car modified before you got it?  W=
rong cylinders ordered/shipped?
        Having wrestled through this with my GT, it was years back and now I=
 do not recall which cylinders (size and pin location) are Tourer or GT.  So=
meone will know, though, and that challenge easily mastered.   GT cylinders a=
re larger, suited to the additional weight of GTs.  If you have to swap part=
s, do it the way MG built it=E2=80=94they got it right.=20
        As you replaced them years ago, my bet is that the vendor shipped w=
rong cylinders.=20
        As to the bleeding, my experience has been that ordinary pedal push=
ing has done fine for me on many cars, though I did install speed bleeders o=
n this GT.  They are an easy exchange and work OK, but the savings of 1/4 cu=
p of brake fluid doing the job are hardly worthwhile.   If the rear brakes a=
re difficult to bleed, have a close look at the metal pipes on the axle.  A c=
ar that has been flat-bed carried may have had the straps wrapped around the=
 axle, crushing the tubes.  That=E2=80=99s not an unusual thing to find.
        Since you are changing hoses, have you changed clutch hose?  These b=
reak down internally whilst appearing fine externally. As you do the change,=
 do it swiftly, w/o interruption, as introducing a bubble into the line is a=
ltogether too easy, and bleeding the clutch line has made many an owner irat=
e.
Bob

> On Oct 23, 2021, at 1:04 PM, wkilleffer@epbfi.com wrote:
>=20
> Hello everyone,
>=20
> The car I'm working on is a 1974 MGB roadster. I decided that I wanted to r=
eplace everything relating to the brakes and their hydraulics except for the=
 metal lines. I ordered the parts from Moss but had to sit on them for a cou=
ple of years before actually starting the project.
>=20
> So, I got the new master cylinder installed, which is probably one of the m=
ore challenging things I've ever done on the car. Next step was working on t=
he rear brakes. The rubber hose in the back was pretty simple, but the issue=
 is with the wheel cylinders. I replaced them maybe twenty years ago and did=
n't have any trouble. But these new ones have a roller pin on them that does=
n't line up with the holes on the brake's backing plate. It's been too long t=
o try and swap them with Moss, and I'm not sure that would do any good anywa=
y because I don't recall that there were too many choices for that part. You=
 could get a cheaper aftermarket or a more expensive part that may be made i=
n England. I went with the cheaper one.
>=20
> Has this been an issue for anyone else? I could probably drill another hol=
e in the back plate to match the roll pin, but that seems like one of those D=
PO solutions. Also, I don't feel like I should have to entertain such a noti=
on anyway. The part should fit and function correctly. The current wheel cyl=
inders are probably ok to re-use, but I liked the idea of all new parts. The=
 front brakes are also on the agenda, but we're not there yet.
>=20
> The next question has to do with bleeding the rear brakes. I started to bl=
eed the brake furthest from the MC using a vacuum tool I got at a well-known=
 less expensive (think shipping at a port) tool store. It's been a letdown f=
or several reasons, among them that the bleeders on the wheel cylinders seem=
 too small for the bleeder fittings that came with the tool, which causes th=
e tool to draw a great deal of air through its system. I seemed to barely be=
 able to get any fluid through the system. The trouble I have is that I am s=
ingle and live alone, so I don't have any readily available sources of help.=
 If the brakes are going to be bled, I have to do them by myself. Does anyon=
e have any advice on this topic?
>=20
> Thank you,
> -William
> 1974 MGB

--Apple-Mail-68C5CDB2-A3D6-48CC-9904-848FE8324552
        charset=utf-8

an class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre">  </span>The rear-bra=
ke question opens more questions. &nbsp; &nbsp;MGBs had rear cylinders to fi=
t the Tourers and the GTs, different sizes of cylinders and different back p=
lates. &nbsp; &nbsp;The roll pins located the cylinders in the correct backi=
ng plates.</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><span class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"whi=
te-space:pre">  </span>Thus the questions arise: &nbsp;Tourer back plates a=
nd new GT cylinders? GT backplates and new Tourer cylinders? &nbsp;Car modif=
ied before you got it? &nbsp;Wrong cylinders ordered/shipped?</div><div dir=3D=
"ltr"><span class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre"> </span>Havi=
ng wrestled through this with my GT, it was years back and now I do not reca=
ll which cylinders (size and pin location) are Tourer or GT. &nbsp;Someone w=
ill know, though, and that challenge easily mastered. &nbsp; GT cylinders ar=
e larger, suited to the additional weight of GTs. &nbsp;If you have to swap p=
arts, do it the way MG built it=E2=80=94they got it right.&nbsp;</div><div d=
ir=3D"ltr"><span class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre">    </s=
pan>As you replaced them years ago, my bet is that the vendor shipped wrong c=
ylinders.&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><span class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D=
"white-space:pre">      </span>As to the bleeding, my experience has been t=
hat ordinary pedal pushing has done fine for me on many cars, though I did i=
nstall speed bleeders on this GT. &nbsp;They are an easy exchange and work O=
K, but the savings of 1/4 cup of brake fluid doing the job are hardly worthw=
hile. &nbsp; If the rear brakes are difficult to bleed, have a close look at=
 the metal pipes on the axle. &nbsp;A car that has been flat-bed carried may=
 have had the straps wrapped around the axle, crushing the tubes. &nbsp;That=
=E2=80=99s not an unusual thing to find.</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><span class=3D=
"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"white-space:pre">     </span>Since you are changi=
ng hoses, have you changed clutch hose? &nbsp;These break down internally wh=
ilst appearing fine externally. As you do the change, do it swiftly, w/o int=
erruption, as introducing a bubble into the line is altogether too easy, and=
 bleeding the clutch line has made many an owner irate.</div><div dir=3D"ltr=
t 1:04 PM, <a href=3D"mailto:wkilleffer@epbfi.com";>wkilleffer@epbfi.com</a> w=
font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: #000000">=
'm working on is a 1974 MGB roadster. I decided that I wanted to replace eve=
rything relating to the brakes and their hydraulics except for the metal lin=
es. I ordered the parts from Moss but had to sit on them for a couple of yea=
e of the more challenging things I've ever done on the car. Next step was wo=
rking on the rear brakes. The rubber hose in the back was pretty simple, but=
 the issue is with the wheel cylinders. I replaced them maybe twenty years a=
go and didn't have any trouble. But these new ones have a roller pin on them=
 that doesn't line up with the holes on the brake's backing plate. It's been=
 too long to try and swap them with Moss, and I'm not sure that would do any=
 good anyway because I don't recall that there were too many choices for tha=
t part. You could get a cheaper aftermarket or a more expensive part that ma=
y be made in England. I went with the cheaper one.</div><div><br data-mce-bo=
gus=3D"1"></div><div>Has this been an issue for anyone else? I could probabl=
[...]
"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a=
 href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a></s=
/mailman/options/mgs/mgbobh@gmail.com">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options=

--Apple-Mail-68C5CDB2-A3D6-48CC-9904-848FE8324552--

--===============5522086544384587457==