Re: [Mgs] Mix n Match

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Mix n Match
From: PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com> iys87BE/N2QCnpipZI/xccZqcJCFcOnPSgFi13RhXgOKNrGsQOryib9QA8gjH1lUsS9fSehKziWmx27LCph7HNInVXDXZ+m8OIs=
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 08:57:08 +0100
The 3-pin flasher was only used on Mk1 cars but the 4-fuse fusebox
didn't start until the 1970 model year.

The flasher unit should have 12v on the green and light-green/brown
wires all the time the ignition is on, as well as the common contact of
the indicator switch.  This lights the lamps as soon as the stalk is
operated, then the turn flasher 'warms up', clicks and turns them off,
then further clicks turn them on, off, on, off.  The hazard flasher
works the other way round i.e. when first operating the switch nothing
happens for a moment, then after a pause there is a click and the lamps
light, then further clicks turn them off, on, off, on.

Where hazards were factory provided the 12v ignition feed to the turn
flasher does go though that switch, and is disconnected when the hazards
are switched on.  That's to prevent voltage feeding back through the
turn flasher onto the ignition, including the fuel pump, when the
ignition is off and the hazards on if the stalk has been left operated
to one side or the other.  When rarely used the grease inside the
hazard  switch goes hard and becomes an insulator rather than a
lubricator, and can affect the hazard lights as well as the turn
signals.  Sometimes flipping the witch back and fore can restore things,
but in my case I had to open up the switch, dig out the old grease and
replace with fresh, and it has been fine ever since.  The original UK
rocker switches do lend themselves to doing that, can't speak for the
American switches.

For me the puzzle is still why something was clicking when the lights
weren't working.

PaulH.