Re: researching and buying a Morgan

To: Teri Mendelsohn <t-terim@microsoft.com>,
Subject: Re: researching and buying a Morgan
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 22:34:49 -0400
Teri,

You pose some interesting questions:

>I am interested in buying a Morgan.  I have a great deal to learn:
>
>*      which model is appropriate for my needs;

That's hard to say.  What are your needs?  Do you have a family.  If
so, then I'd suggest a 4 seater.

>*      whether to buy an antique or new model;

This depends on you pocket book.  A good antique that is restored
like mine appraises out at about $25,000 for a +4 or a 4/4.  Mine has won
its share of trophies, however, if you want to purchase a prize winner they
cost.  I know a fellow that purchased a *Show* car, he wanted trophies.  His
+4 4seater cost him over $46,000.

A new Morgan starts at about $60,000.  Anyone can purchase a new one.
(Except me.  There is no way I could spend that kind of money on a car).

>*      whether to go through a dealer;

If you want a new one, that's the only way you'll get one.  There are
2 dealers, one on the West Coast - Isys in San Fran area, and one on
the East Coast - Cantab in the DC area.  I believe there is between a
1 to a 4 year wait depending on what you want.  The Factory has a 10
year back log of orders.

If you are looking for a used car, you'll get a better car for the
money from an individual that a used / collector car dealer.  He wants
his cut.

>*      upcoming antique car shows.

That is always worth going to, to look for a car.

Will, here on the Morgan list has a very nice 67 4/4 for sale.  I was
up in Mich. in Feb and looked over the car.  Didn't get a chance to
drive it because it was snowing to beat the band.  He's asking about
$13,000 for it, about $2,000 below what the car should go for.  The
car is worth between $15,000 and $18,000.  But again it depends on
what you want.  Shipping to Wa. would be under $1,000.  So you'd still be
making money.

I didn't bother to look up cars for sale in your area.  However,
try calling a friend of mine there Nancy Dice - see if she is still
playing with the Morgan Club there and what she knows of in your area.
Her address and number are:

   Nancy Dice
   13802 S.E. 3rd. Place
   Bellevue, Wa. 98005
       (206) 746-5198

Tell her I told you to give her a call, and that I said hello.  I
haven't talked to her in years.  Also tell her that my articles are
now up on the internet.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire