Re: researching and buying a Morgan

To: Teri Mendelsohn <t-terim@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: researching and buying a Morgan
From: Jeremy Edwards <jeremy@jmemee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 23:08:26 +0100
Teri Mendelsohn <t-terim@microsoft.com> writes

>I am interested in buying a Morgan.  I have a great deal to learn:
>
>*      which model is appropriate for my needs;
>*      whether to buy an antique or new model;
>*      whether to go through a dealer;
>*      upcoming antique car shows.

Here's my contribution to the above points:
        (i)     The vast majority of Mogs in the UK are 4 str 4/4s,
                family men, the vast majority of new morgans sold in
                Germany are +8s, speed freaks!, The best bet, find a
                local club, volunteer as a navigator/marshall/labourer
                for a rebuild and try to drive a few. Most morgans are
                as personal as the owners underwear, so finding one to
                suit may be a long process.
        (ii)    Old or new is less of an issue for morgans as for any
                other cars- all of them will need regular attention to
                stay at their best, even if it is only to tighten all of
                the bolts/screws that vibrate loose! For me in the UK,
                the choice was simple, I ordered a new 4/4 in January
                1989 and I am still waiting, my local dealer says 1999,
                so to stave off boredom and to stop spending money on a
                depreciating new car I bought a 1972 4/4 2 str to
                restore gradually. For most of it's tenure it has been
                my only car, although my wife has a modern car and I
                have the odd clunker.
        (iii)   If you feel the need to use a dealer, make sure they
                work for their margin and the car is well prepared,
                presented, straight and are offering some form of
                warranty, otherwise you may as well take the risk with a
                private sale. Looking at any morgan, take someone who
                knows what they are looking at and doesn't have a stake
                in the purchase- else the cash will jump out of your
                pocket. Most long term morgan owners will be a fair bet
                as purchasers assistant.
        (iv)    No help here, I'm too far away!

Generally, the usual advice applies- buy the best you can afford and
research it as carefully as you can. In my experience rolling rebuilds
are not usually possible, as a chassis change is time consuming and body
faults often need lots of supplementary dismantling. Performance wise
anything is possible, some of the german speed freaks are running 300-
350bhp in a +8, a Kent engined 4/4 can with off the shelf tuning parts
run 120bhp reliably.

I'm not keen on things I can't fix so my car has the following
specification:
        1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str, Ford Rosso Red, black leather bucket
        seats with red piping, rubber mats, everflex trim.
        Ford kent 1598cc crossflow, tubular exhaust maniflow, Kent "fast
        road" cam, polished and ported head to stage 2 standard,
        unleaded valve inserts, rejetted Weber DCD1 carb, (2 hours on a
        rolling road), rally spec. dizzy. 5 speed Ford sierra gearbox,
        scuttle roll bar, Koni telescopic rear shocks.

Not a car for the purist, but is goes like hell!
--
Jeremy Edwards
1972 Morgan 4/4 2 str