Re: engine colors

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring), morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine colors
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 18:14:16 -0400
At 09:09 AM 6/26/96 -0400, Will Zehring wrote:
>Fellow mog-o-philes:
>
> Now, on to my next question:  as part of the continueing saga of the
> engine pull...

> However, every Mog I've seen has the fire wall in black.  Is this
> basically true?

Mine is.  However, I haven't checked the Original Morgan book.

> I was thinking of cleaning up the engine and painting it,
>but what color?

The following is an excerpt of a letter I wrote several years ago,

     In my last letter I said I was waiting for Mother Nature to
give me a little warmth so I could paint the engine.  Well she
finally came through about the 23rd of February and I got the
engine painted (red).  That night I got a call from a fellow in
Kentucky who wanted some of my articles he was missing and
wanted to know what color the engine was supposed to be.  Well I
told him I'd find out.  Well I called  John Sheally and he said
" - the TR 2/3/4 engines and heads were painted BLACK.  The 4/4s
with the Ford engine were painted FORD BLUE and the "Standard"
engines (before they became Standard Truimph) were painted an
"uguly GREEN"".  Of course - my pretty red engine was supposed
to be Blue.  So the next day I got to paint it Blue.  I'd asked

     In my last letter I said I was waiting for Mother Nature to
give me a little warmth so I could paint the engine.  Well she
finally came through about the 23rd of February and I got the
engine painted (red).  That night I got a call from a fellow in
Kentucky who wanted some of my articles he was missing and
wanted to know what color the engine was supposed to be.  Well I
told him I'd find out.  Well I called  John Sheally and he said
" - the TR 2/3/4 engines and heads were painted BLACK.  The 4/4s
with the Ford engine were painted FORD BLUE and the "Standard"
engines (before they became Standard Truimph) were painted an
"uguly GREEN"".  Of course - my pretty red engine was supposed
to be Blue.  So the next day I got to paint it Blue.

If you don't like blue - by the way Ford has 2 official blues
   1. light blue    - you can get anyplace
   2. a darker blue - only been able to find it at NAPA.

why not the same color as the car or a color that compliments you
body color?

John
John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire