Re: My vacation

To: morgans@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My vacation
From: Mark Morgan <mmorgan@leland.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:31:27 +0000
My factory memories:

In 1987 my wife and I took a trip to England for two weeks. We stayed in
London for one week (where we had tickets to some idiotic - I thought - play
about the Phantom of the Opera, for cryin' out loud, starring some guy named
Crawford: who knew?) We then took the high-speed train up to York, rented a
car, and made our way through the Lake country and back down eventually to
Heathrow.

Of course, my prerequisite for the whole trip was that we go to Malvern
Link. I wrote a letter to the factory explaining that we would be making the
trip, would it be ok, etc, etc. I received a very nice response indicating
that drooling, panting, puppy-dog faced visitors are a regular fact of life
for them.

I remember that my heart was pounding as the factory came into sight from
the intersecting road and as we parked the car and entered the front door.

I remember the cartoon on the wall: "You want you Morgan when???"

I remember the sound of the hammer on sheet metal as I watched a man shaping
a cowl.

I remember most distinctly the smell of the glowing coal stove in the middle
of one of the bays, even more than the smell of the upholstery shop. Strange.

I didn't want to leave. My wife pointed out that we couldn't very well live
there. I weighed the possibility.

We went back through the front offices, where I bought a "Morgan" script
emblem. It's now on our mailbox, at the same angle it would be on the back
end of a +4. I consider it a kit: the rest of the car will be added to the
back of the nameplate in the future.

Thanks for reminding me.

Mark Morgan