Re: Lets keep Will Happy

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@prodigy.net>, William Zehringa <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>,
Subject: Re: Lets keep Will Happy
From: Philip Evans <pevans@esva.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 08:26:24 -0400
I feel great knowing the different ways that Morgan lovers have gotten
hooked.  My story is this:

I was fresh out of college in my first job which took me to a small town in
the middle of Georgia.  I had always been a car nut, but I had never owned
anything British.  My mom would not let me buy the '67 Austin Healy 3000
that I wanted when I went to college, so I bought a new Mazda RX-3
instead.(great motor, lousy car)  Anyway, while in Georgia, I went to a car
auction and saw my first Morgan, a 4/4.  I was in love.  About two years
later, I was back home in Virginia.  I was working in Virginia's Northern
Neck area and driving a '66 XKE coupe.  The car looked and ran great, but it
had serious rust problems. ie. the driver's floor was rusted through in 3
places.  I still longed for a Morgan, though, but I didn't have much money.
While looking through the Auto Trader in the Northern Virginia area, I saw a
'61 Morgan Plus 4 for sale or trade, so I called. The owner was interested
and we set up a time to meet the next week.  That weekend I finally finished
tuning the 3 SU's on the Jag and could not believe the increase in power.
The drive to D.C. to meet the Morgan owner was the most fun I had ever had
with the Jag.  The car would fly.  When the Morgan owner test drove the Jag,
he was impressed enough with the Jag to agree to trade the cars with no cash
exchanged, even though I showed him the problems with the Jag's rust.  I
have been a happy Morgan owner ever since.

All this occured back in 1978.  I still have the Morgan, but it has not been
running for a very long time.  Since I got the Morgan, I have gotten
married, had kids, bought a house, etc.  The Morgan still waits and will one
day be restored and used by me again.