Re: Lets keep Will Happy

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Re: Lets keep Will Happy
From: gdm@po.cwru.edu (David McCoy)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 11:28:04 -0400 (EDT)
>At 09:58 AM 5/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #3.1a ] --
>>
>>Gee, all  the  Morgans must be running great,  since no posts = no problems.
>>
>>If this keeps up we're all going to get one of those withdrawal notes from
>>Will .
>>
>>So here's the start of a thread which everyone can participate.
>>
>>How I Came to Find my Morgan

Hi folks,

This is a great idea and as it happens it has started at a very good time
for me. My father passed away a few days ago. And I have been thinking about
what I could say at the memorial service.

He was a very stern person. He did however go through  "sports car
menopause" when I was in high school in the late 50's His first car was a
Sunbeam Rapier. Wonderfull little car (4str). He even got the little hats
that we are all so fond of. In rapid succession there were in no particular
order, an AH 3000, two 190SL's, a corvette and finally a 300SLR which was
his pride and joy. Along the way he made  the acquaintance of a man who had
an AH 100. One of my summer jobs was to make ure that the battery was kept
charged on that "little red car".

Anyway shortly after the departure of the Rapier, he got bitten by the
rallye bug. Even though I was convinced that I was the far superior driver
(yeah right) I became the navigator. We always entered  as "unequipped"
which ment stopwatch, pencil and paper, and a circular slide rule. He was
insistant that we remain absolutly on time so muchso that we frequently flew
past obvious turns, which only became obvious five miles down the road. Of
course we were toast by then but he would insist that he could make up the
time. Scared the s**t out of me!

Anyway so whats the Morgan content Dave?

It was when I was 14-15 that I saw my first Morgan (1957-58). Mogs were
uncommon then and I remember my response to that car was similiar to the
whiplash that frequently occurred when in those marvelous sceens in
"American Grafitti" when the blood in the T-bird girl would drive by!

Being able to drive all of those cars at an early age was sufficient to dull
my apetite for "little cars" until three years ago. Susan and I went to a
large show here in NE Ohio named "Wing and Wheels". As we were about to
leave I spotted two Mogs in front of  us. A beautiful lt blue 4/4 and Chuck
Ackermann's BRG +4. My response was that same as it had been oh those many
years ago. Later that fall we made a trip to Chicago to see a car that Norb
Bries had for sale and needless to say its now in my garage.

Being a scientist, (as is Will) I have tried to understand this phenomia and
I present the following hypothesis for your consideration.

Teenage males are highly susceptable to infection by a sports car virus
(scv). This virus become integrated into the host's genome but is latent. As
affluence manifests itself by the accretion of fatty tissue, the viral
genome is activated and causes the expression of brain specific cytokines.

Seriously though, it is nice to have been able to find something with which
a father and son can have in common.

Hope this has not been a downer for you folks, its been fun for me to write
this!

Dave McCoy

'66 +4

G. David McCoy, PhD                             phone: (216) 368-5963
Department of Environmental Health Sciences       fax: (216) 368-3194
Case Western Reserve University                  email: gdm@po.cwru.edu
School of Medicine
Cleveland, OH 44106