RE: Lets keep Will Happy

To: "'Bob Nogueira'" <nogera@prodigy.net>
Subject: RE: Lets keep Will Happy
From: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 16:17:07 -0400
If there is a common thread running through all these Morgan acquisition
stories, it must be the one where all Morgans spend some time being
driven, and a longer time being rebuilt or waiting to be rebuilt.  (The
next entry in this series will probably come from somebody who had
his/her name on the Morgan Works waiting list, eventually picked up a
shiny new Morgan, drove away from the Works and has never had to open
the hood other than to change the oil and dust the engine, and then
another theory will bite the dust).

Of all the members of our graduate radiochemistry group at Penn State
back in the mid-60's, I was the only one temporarily without a car.  My
previous car, a '56 TR2 had survived a near-head on collision in the LA
area in 1961 (an uninsured idiot in a Ford passing somebody on a hill
almost made me buy the farm) and I had never found the cash to fix it
properly.  I drove the injured TR along Route 66 back to college in
Michigan and eventually back to Vancouver, BC, where my brother managed
to sell it for me.

Anyway, just before handing out final exams to freshmen students before
Christmas, my thesis advisor told us that the local VW dealer had a
Morgan for sale.  As soon as we could manage, about six of us, including
our thesis advisor, climbed into a car and drove to the VW dealer.  It
was a 1952, silver +4, black upholstery, faded top.  We casually
inquired about the sales price.  The following week a group decision was
made that I (the only one without a car) would have to buy the car, if
for no other reason than to avoid having some pimply teenager buy it,
put a radio in it and drive it through town with a fox tail on the
aerial.  My previous cars had been a '52 MGTD and a '56 TR2, so I was
familiar with the foibles of a British sports car and with Lucas
electrics.  The following weekend my girlfriend came down to visit and I
managed to drag her to the VW dealer to look at the Moggie.  I casually
inquired about the price and noted that it dropped 200$ since my first
visit.

Anyway, I bought the car and then called my Dad in Vancouver for a loan.
 I drove it for four years, got married along the way to above-mentioned
girlfriend and accepted a job in Manitoba.  We moved all our earthly
belongings, including a beagle and two parakeets in a Ford Econoline
U-Haul and my wife's '64 Corvair.  I went back to finish and defend my
thesis and drove from State College, PA, to Pinawa, Manitoba end March
1969. Low oil pressure was "cured" by the addition of a can of "Motor
Honey" and by driving at speeds less than 55 mph.  A year or two after
moving to Manitoba, the Department of Motor Vehicles felt compelled to
have me have the car safety inspected, something I thought I had left
behind in Pennsylvania.  I knew the car would not pass inspection
because the treads on the tires was less than 1/4" minimum and I
couldn't find 5.20 x 16" tires in time.  So, the car sat, and sat, and
sat, while we raised a family, bought a house, drove unexciting cars on
unexciting roads, etc. etc.

Now that 75% of the offspring is out the door and the remaining 25% will
leave in another year, the time has come to restore the car.  I had a
new two-car garage built a few years ago, leaving the old garage
dedicated to the Morgan and my radial arm saw.  Trouble is, even though
I've insulated the old garage, it's not heated...yet, so working in the
garage in the winter, i.e. for six months, is out of the question.  So,
this summer, I have to install electric heat in the garage and continue
to dismantle the car.

If I've learned anything over the years is that procrastination gets you
nowhere...

Chuck Vandergraaf
'52 +4, P.2473/V.345.ME
'87 Olds Custom Cruiser