Blow outs

To: "'Morgans'" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Blow outs
From: "Vodden, Dave" <Dave.Vodden@Telematics.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 97 08:42:00 PDT
Jonathan Russell, writes

>I use Avon 195 60 15's on my 92 4/4. Since getting the car to Vancouver in
>October 92, I have had 5 blow outs on my rear tyres (tires) {I was taught
>spell in the UK!!!}. I have wire wheels and have now taped the hell out of
>them
>inner section with, touch wood, no further problems. Has anyone had similar

>problems?

I have had my car since February 1993 and covered 35000 miles.  I have
suffered a similar number of deflations and all on the back.  Fortunately
they have mostly been while the car has been standing.

I discussed it with my tyre supplier.  He pointed out that modern low
profile tyres are built to run tubeless and that there is no attention on
making the inside smooth, consequently they chafe and wear the tube.  This
occurs more on the back as there is more torque reaction and more movement.

I am interested by your fix.  How many miles have you covered since?  It
seems to take up to 10,000 to wear a tube through. Other people I have
talked to don't seem to have a problem, but then they don't cover the miles
either!!

It is worth noting that the factory now fits tubeless on the wider rims as
fitted to the Plus 4 and Plus 8, even on wire wheels.  I wondered how they
managed this; and on a visit a couple of weeks ago took a look.  The inside
of the well on these wheels is filled to about a half inch deep with silicon
rubber to make the spoke holes air tight.  I wonder how that affects spoke
adjustment?  I also wonder if this could be retro fitted to existing wheels?

Dave Vodden
1992 Plus 4 4 Seater
Hampshire, UK