Re: tieing together some threads

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Re: tieing together some threads
From: George Gerth <ggerth@west.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 12:50:18 -0700
William Zehring wrote:

> David S. writes:
> He goes on to say:
> >This month was a milestone for me. I have owned my car for 20 years and
> >drove it until it died about six years ago from a very tired engine.
>
> I'd appreciate hearing from other list members how long they've been into
> the marque.

William, I've been resisting jumping on the thread of "How I acquired my
Morgan", but now with this new question I guess I need to speak up...

I "acquired" my 1963 Morgan in 1971 when I convinced my Fiancee to sell
her 1965 Mustang and buy the Morgan "cause she needed a classic car".  I
already had too many cars (a corvair powered Meyer's Manx, corvair
powered VW Van, and a 1959 XK 150 Coupe) and could not afford the $1500
price.  I also knew she would need someone to keep it running so it fit
in with our marriage plans.

The car was driven for a couple years, then put thru a partial (5 year)
restoration which included two moves.  The marriage ended in 1990 and
since we never bothered to re-title the Morgan, it went to her (don't
cry, I got to keep the DB5).  Since my ex didn't have a place to store
the Morgan (and no longer had a Mechanic "on-staff") she had me keep it
for her.  After another 5 years of storing, maintaining and driving the
car, I bought it from her (this time for $10,000).

So, you tell me.  Have I been "into the marque" for 26 years or 2 years?
Anyway, it has been a fine experience and association with Morgan for a
long time!

George Gerth