RE: Stalling problem

To: "'Morgans'" <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Stalling problem
From: "Vodden, Dave" <Dave.Vodden@Telematics.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 97 10:46:00 PDT

Not dissimilar symptoms can arise with carb icing in cold weather or vapour
locks in the fuel line when its hot.  Vapour locks can be caused by the fuel
line running too close to the exhaust.  In either case the period spent
stationary investigating the problem is enough to effect a temporary fix.
 Your description sounds like a very short time with the engine stopped and
therefore probably not enough fuel flow for normal running.

Sound like severe fuel starvation so the list goes like

Fuel filter:    check its not clogged
Float:           check it rises and falls freely
needle valve:   check its not stuck
Pipework:          air getting in someplace (also applies to manifolds, but
not likely), rubber parts perished and flaking into filter causing
blockages, metal part squashed flat say at too tight a bend or where some
careless person has put a jack
Pump:        check it doesn't have loose or high resistance connections/that
it pumps plenty of fuel/that it gives plenty of pressure
etc...

Perhaps someone knows how fast the fuel pump should pump, say into a bottle,
so you have a standard for comparison, from my recollection its more that
you think!!

Dave Vodden
1992 Plus 4