Re: Help for a neophyte

To: alsie@ulster.net
Subject: Re: Help for a neophyte
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:18:41 -0500
Fellow Mog-o-philes, Al and Bob:

Al Hamlet writes:

>I have no wish to start a religious war. I just wanted to hear some pros
>and cons. Is that so bad?
>
>I swear and avow that I am making this request on my own behalf. I am in
>the service of no faction or clique.

>>    Okay Will Zehring,  are you so bored and have so little to do  that
>> you're sending  "Bait mail "
>>    If not,  I'll  waive opening and reserve the right to close

First off, Al:  Have no fear.  You have not started a religious war, but
you might inadvertently have joined in one.  While you assure us you fly no
flag in the morgan engine debate as of yet, you will, inevitably, be forced
to make a selection.  None of these cars came with both, to the best of my
understanding.  Some might be found with neither, but none with both.

As Charles Harris writes:

>1. Depends on if you listen to a 4/4 or +4 owner, because if someone owns
>both a 4/4 and a+4 that is an indecisive person.

Charles is 100% correct.  One is either a cat person or a dog person, chevy
person or a ford person, an MG person or a triumph person.  So it goes; one
is either a 4/4 person or a +4 person.  I'll warn you that you are on the
edge of what I like to call a "defining moment" in your life when you make
a decision that seals your identity and fate for years to come.  When,
after all, was the last time Awesome Bill drove a chevy?

Anyway, as the self-appointed spokesperson for the 4/4 camp, let me give
you a brief synopsis of why the 4/4 is, as I am oft quoted saying, "THE
THINKING MAN'S MORGAN."

Heritage:       The ford push rod four has it in spades.  From the anemic little
thing it started as, probably only able to burp up about 30-40 some odd
horsepower, through its bores and strokes, up to the then state of the art
DOHC iteration w/twin webers, that Colin Chapman used in his (fragile) cars
back in the fabulous 60's.  This engine has seen service for many many
years, and hence joins the league of great mills, including the small block
chevy, the venerable jag XK engine, and others.  Don't forget: some are
born to greatness, others have greatness thrust upon them, and yet others
miss greatness by a mile.  Catch my meaning?  It is used today in formula
ford.  Which leads me to the second point:

Parts availability:   God knows (God knows he knows) how many vehicles are