Re: Help for a neophyte

To: morgans <morgans@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Help for a neophyte
From: Joseph DeLuca <DELUCAJ@mops.wl.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 15:24:50 -0400
Hello Al,

I will tell you my story straight and without embedded humor or inside jokes to
confuse the issue.

When my Morgan 4/4 came into my life I didn't even know what the difference was
between a 4/4 and a +4, except that the +4 had more horsepower (hence the "+").
 I was really looking for an MG and switched gears at the last minute when a
bargain appeared.

In retrospect, I've had no regrets because the Morgan seems much more "robust"
and driveable than an MG would have been.  The Mog has probably had more street
miles tallied than an MG would have.

After seeing other Morgans, and learning some of the differences, I'm glad I
fell into a 4/4, but not for the usual reasons I hear bandied around here in
the mail exchange.  I like the LOOKS of the 4/4 better.  When I first saw a +4
I couldn't quite put my finger on why it didn't appeal as much aesthetically.
I mean, after all, only a few months earlier I didn't even know they looked
different.

The +4 sits higher than it's brother.  This is to accommodate the taller TR
engine no doubt.  The 4/4, on the other hand is much lower, almost flat to the
ground.  It looks like a colorful doormat and, to my eye, much sportier and
aggressive.  If anything happened to my 4/4 I would replace it with another 4/4
for that reason alone.

This is completely subjective, and surely a rather petty way to establish a
preference, but it means a lot to me.  If they could stuff a TR engine in the
4/4 body it would suit me fine. I could get all the TR parts, regular and
competition, that I need.  For me, the big difference is in the body.

As to checking for wood rot, I will confess that I'm sure how to go about it.
Most of the wood, especially that prone to rot, is well hidden.  I doubt if a
prospective seller would approve of taking core samples.  Some of the Morgan
"buyer's guides" have chapters about that sort of thing.

Check for rust or cracks in the chassis.  That's easy to spot, unless it's been
hastily camouflaged with bondo.

Good luck,

Joe DeLuca
'62' yellow 4/4