Re: +4 Transmissions

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: +4 Transmissions
From: smithmog@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 21:27:41 -0800
John T. Blair wrote:

> With the parts for the Moss transmission getting very hard to find and
> very expensive, has anybody ever played with replacing the Moss
> transmission with something else?
>
> I've got a friend in DC area that was wondering.  I would think that with
> just a little ingenuity you could convert to a TR box or something?
> Unfortunately, the 4/4 has a different set up and I haven't played with
> a +4 that much.
>
> John
>
> John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@exis.net
> Va. Beach, Va                  Phone:  (757) 495-8229
>
>               48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
> 71 Saab Sonett III     75 Bricklin SV1     77 SpitfireJohn-a friend of mine
>in the Michigan club converted his Moss-boxed early
Plus 8 to a 5-speed box out of a V-6 Buick Skyhawk(A Borg-Warner,I think)
The only shortcoming was that he lost his handbrake-no room-but it
transformed the car, making highway cruising in overdrive 5th a real
pleasure. Wish I could find a readily available (read:cheap) 5-speed that
would bolt up to my 1600 Crossflow.(I've heard that the Mustang/T-Bird
5-speed from the 2300 engine doesn't bolt up easily) Anybody have any
ideas?