Re: Hot Weather Folks

To: "Roger Burtenshaw" <brel@iafrica.com>, <ebrown@ms.com>,
Subject: Re: Hot Weather Folks
From: "Vern Dale-Johnson" <vern_dj@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:39:38 -0500
Regarding electric fans

I've a front mounted (pusher) fan on my +4.  Also took pains to stuff the
area between the top of the expansion tank and the cowl with some foam
lengths (foam I used is water pipe insulation -- round shape, bendable and
strong -- that is, it doesn't come apart easily, and is available in an
inconspicuous charcoal colour).  This, with a stainless steel scoop
fabricated to feed air under the grill (and effectively block air from
flowing out under the rad) solved my cooling problems.  I've since added a
oil cooler with the rad unit mounted in the said scoop and this resulted in
temperatures rarely rising past 3/4.

Regarding heat in the cockpit -- the older Moss tranny's throw off quite a
heat.  For those who are bothered by same, insulate both the scuttle
firewall and the inside of the tranny tunnel with self adhesive "sound
deadener" with or without the silver paper.  Is great to reduce road noise
and to control the heat.  This stuff is available from most auto supply
stores or you can order from JC Whitney or similar mail order houses
(although I have found they charge about twice the price).

Vern Dale-Johnson
MSCC Canada
Toronto