F2 questions

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: F2 questions
From: EPaul21988 <EPaul21988@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 09:42:06 EDT
Hello All;

I brought F376 to my home garage this weekend, finally. Unfortunately on the
end of a tow rope !  Got it started but the engine failed half way home.
Since I made so much progress with the TR3 I need to sell, I decided to reward
myself by having the F2  here to begin to familiarize myself with the car.
I've only driven it 3 times so far but have already a list of questions.  I
apologize up front for not knowing the proper terminology for some of the
parts of this car.  I'm not at all sure what is correctly done on the car and
what is not.  I hope the more knowledgeable members will not hesitate to
correct, inform as needed.  I don't have thin skin in these matters, so please
have at it.

The ignition switch has a central key with a sort of toggle switch around
which operates the headlamps, I believe.  (They don't work so I can't confirm
by operating)
When I bought the car I was instructed to  turn on both the key and the 'side
head' switch, then operate the starter.  Then after the car starts, to turn
off the side head switch.   Is this a usual procedure? Can anyone explain why
this is necessary.  I did confirm that there is no power to the coil when the
key is turned without the side head switch on.

The electrical system is a bit of a mess and I'm trying to sort out a couple
of shorts.  Under the bonnet there is a pretty standard looking Lucas voltage
regulator, a period looking fuse block with two fuses and  a circular,
bakelite device with wires going in and out of it.  I haven't a clue as to
what the circular thing is.  Any help ??

What is the usual tire size for an F2?  The rear is something like 4.85x18 ,
while the  the front is 4.00x18 on this car.  The tires are showing cracking
on the sidewalls so I intend to replace them with something safer.  Anyone
have any suggestions about kind of tire, suppliers ?

This car was 'restored' in I guess the middle 80's  ( 19 not 18 ! ).  There
are some, what I would call unusal aspects to some of the work done to the
woodwork, and other parts of the chassis. I say that because it looks 'funky'
in places, little care taken and little skill evidenced.  Is there any
reference material around which would tell me how the factory did things.
Example, there is a temporary looking piece of thin aluminium bent into a two
sided box which sits over the chain behind the transmission behind the seat I
guess to stop grease/oil from being thrown off the chain onto the back of the
seat.  I can fabricate something sturdier, but would like to know what was
there out of the factory.  There are also a variety of openings in the foot
well into the engine compartment.  It's just wood there and some pieces have
broken off, but  were there ever any grommets placed into these openings ??

Anyone know of a 6V DC electric cooling fan  that would fit this car?

Yes, I've joined TMTWC, and I'll write to them also.  For those of you who are
fellow members , I agree with Bert regarding the appearance of unavailability
of the library material.  The response seems to be, what do you want and we'
ll see if we have it. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to formulate a
relevant request, due to my almost total ignorence of the F2.  Then of course
there's the time involved with writing and posting a letter, waiting for USPS
and the Royal Mail to do their part, both ways.  Then you find out you didn't
ask the right question so it all starts again, meanwhile the car is laid up
waiting for the tech info .  Maybe the club does not realize how difficult it
is for we colonials since we can't just pop on by and have a look see in the
archives.   I wish there was a biblio available, I'd gladly pay for it.  A big
job but once done updates are all that would be required.  Having said all
this I do appreciate the volunteers who devote time to keeping things going in
all the clubs.

I'll stop for now.  Thanks in advance for any advice, information you may
provide.

Bob Paul