Re: F2 questions

To: CTDreher <CTDreher@aol.com>
Subject: Re: F2 questions
From: toad <toad@storm.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 09:18:56 -0400
CTDreher wrote:

> In a message dated 98-04-06 09:42:59 EDT, EPaul21988@aol.com writes:
>
> << What is the usual tire size for an F2?  The rear is something like 4.85x18
> ,
>  while the  the front is 4.00x18 on this car.  The tires are showing cracking
>  on the sidewalls so I intend to replace them with something safer.  Anyone
>  have any suggestions about kind of tire, suppliers ? >>
>
> Coker tires (advertised in Hemmings) seem to have about every kind of tire you
> could ask for.  Good choice of antiques.
>
> << Example, there is a temporary looking piece of thin aluminium bent into a
> two
>  sided box which sits over the chain behind the transmission behind the seat I
>  guess to stop grease/oil from being thrown off the chain onto the back of the
>  seat.  I can fabricate something sturdier, but would like to know what was
>  there out of the factory. >>
>
> I don't believe there was anything "factory".  This is a common mod for three
> wheelers.
>
> As to your comments on the English Three Wheeler club... yeah, they are a
> snotty inward-looking group.  Send them a letter with your comments.  I'm
> about to do likewise.  BTW, don't expect either quality service or quality
> parts from them, either.  This is a cottage industry and some of the material
> I've received was very, very poor.  I've had better luck making drawings and
> taking them to a local machine shop for fabrication.  Costs a lot more but I
> know what I'll be getting and WHEN I will get it.  Plus, if it's not right, I
> have can go shake someone.
>
> For example, I had stainless steel spring covers made by a TWC advertiser.
> (Gee LTD.)  Two telescoping tubes, closed on one end.  Pretty simple, eh?    I
> sent drawing and after FIVE months, received the parts.  They were TOTALLY
> wrong.  Not even close to the drawings.  (Too small in diameter.)  So I called
> up and complained and the answer was, "Oh..Well I just made them like I make
> them for everyone else.  I really didn't look at your drawings...."  I sent
> them back and he made another set.  He CUT APART the old ones and welded in a
> "bridge" and ground them smooth.  Looks like crap.  I've also received parts
> with weld splatter on them.
>
> It's a typically English attitude, I'm afraid.  Quality and service are words
> they know nothing about.
>
> - Carl

Sir
Those are mighty strong words. Your feelings may be justified in your
opinion, however I have in general found British suppliers beyond
reproach. We do have questionable suppliers and manufacturers on all
sides of the Atlantic. Would you like a name or two from individuals or
"Dealers" in North America?  As my old Dad used to say, "If you don't
like the game then don't play."

Toad