Re: Wire Wheel Conversion

To: JClax5817 <JClax5817@aol.com>, morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Conversion
From: Jane McDaid <Murphys@ziplink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 20:49:30 -0400
At 01:42 AM 4/6/98 EDT, JClax5817 wrote:

>I'm restoring a 1956 +4 that has 16" steel wheels and uses 5.25" tires. I am
>considering a conversion to wire wheels.
>
>I am thinking of going with a rim to accept a wider tire, while retaining the
>original 16" diameter.
>
>I would like to hear from anyone that has gone through a wire wheel
>conversion, and especially any that started with a similar configuration as
>mine; the 16" rims and 5.25" tires.
 I don't know about the conversion to 16" wires, but I have a neighbor who
just had new wider rims welded onto his 15" disc wheels for a '52 MGTD.
They came out great and appear to be bone stock, and retained the original
offset. The offset is critical for clearance on a Mog. If you'd like, I can
find out the source.

Some members having just fitted modern tires to 15" stock rims on their
+4's have reported chafing of tires against front end parts under cornering
pressures. Presumably the offset could also be widened a little when
welding on new rims. You might want to examine the clearances on your car
very carefully before spending a barrel of cash on a conversion to wires or
wider rims.

Jerry Murphy
'67 +4