RE: checking a price

To: "Vandergraaf, Chuck" <vandergraaft@aecl.ca>
Subject: RE: checking a price
From: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:06:29 -0400
At 01:32 PM 4/20/98 -0400, Chuck wrote:
>Colin,
>
>You're forgetting one minor detail, the +4 is question "needs assembling,"
>only THEN will Will be able to go fast in his newly acquired +4. (I speak
>from experience, with my +4 needing assembling as well).

Well, being as I am a blue oval sort of a guy, the thought of the +4
outpacing my intrepid little 4/4 is a thorny matter.  I checked into the
performance stats on the flat rad +4s last night, in my copy of the
Brooklands Gold Portfolio on the pre+8s.  A 1953 flat rad +4 was clocked by
Road and Track for 0-60mph in 17.7 seconds.  A 1961 round rad (?) 4/4 with
the 'umble 1500cc ford mill was clocked 0-60 in just under 17 seconds,
about 16.5 or so.  Therefore, I must come to the conclusion that a '53 +4
is _slower_ (at least in the context of 0-60, if not top end) than my own
ferocious '67 4/4.  Its what I've been saying all along: the 4/4 is the
thinking man's mog!

None of this means that I'm not still interested in the flat rad (natch).
I've got to admit, however, that the estimates of value that I've heard so
far are higher than I'd expected... I don't know if I can swing this.

>Will, you have impeccable taste!  However, I was not aware that "flat rad
>fhc's" existed.  There are "dhc's" and I think they are about the nicest
>flat rads ever built.

Two points for Chuck!  I realized after I sent the message that I'd
mis-entered that.  I meant the DHC.  I saw one at a show some years back
and me wife and meself instantly fell in love with it!  In fact, that car
started our hunt for a mog (a bit-o-history).

cheers,
Will